“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.” Mark Twain

Thursday, January 21, 2010

This ship is in Mexico! (Well it was anyway)

I never had a chance to post this when we were in Ensenada, so pretend it was a few days ago:
Here is what we saw from the ship:

It was good to have few days to relax before heading to the ship because since we have arrived we have been training and meeting each other.  I did decide that this environment could quite possibly be an introverts nightmare.  Even me being the extreme extrvert that I am needs to take a time out every now and then to reharge.  When I arrived on the ship I settled in but could not do any unpacking until the evening because it took sometime for my luggage to make it to my room.  So I took the time between getting on the ship and starting our evening familiarizing myself with the ship and getting to meet some of the other saff and faculty.  We started our time together with a meeting where everyone was introduced.  Thank goodness for nametags because I retained almost nothing.  After that we had a welcome recption where everyone got to mix and mingle.  The Student Life staff ended the meeting with a meeting that of course consisted of an ice breaker!  This meeting was a great opportunity for us to start to get to know each other.  It seems like we are really going to be a great staff.

Though the ride was pretty choppy I did not really experience motion sickness on our way to Mexico but that may because I was wearing a patch that is supposed to help.  Today, Thursday consisted of more training and activities that have allowed me to meet some more new people.  And though the day was long it really did seem to fly by quickly.   I also very quickly realized that faculty and staff are really made to be equals on this ship.  We all have our roles but are also all seen as experts in what we do.

I had an opportunity to get off the ship this evening for dinner (Thursday), so I did with about 7 other people and we ate divey tacos which were wonderful and polished off a peach margarita.  We walked around a little bit then headed back to the ship for our 8pm meeting!

Friday evening the entire Student Life staff and their families headed out to dinner together in Ensenada and we took over the restaurant!  It was nice to take some time together before the students arrive!
Fresh tortillas being made:


Here is what the sunset looked like the night we left Ensenada, I think it is a good sign!!!

2 comments:

  1. Hey fellow SASer--looking forward to hearing about your upcoming exciting adventures. I'll be following your voyage around the world. Have fun!

    Korine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stacey!!! I'm living vicariously through you for the duration of your trip. Please take a ton of photos in Hawaii and post them here. I miss it and would love to see where you go especially in Honolulu.

    Can't wait to hear about the next leg of your trip.

    Hugs,
    Molly

    ReplyDelete