“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.” Mark Twain

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Stay Classy San Diego

I can certainly retire in San Diego; what a great city!!!  When I arrived on Monday night we headed out to a great dinner at C level overlooking the San Diego Harbor to celebrate my first night in San Diego and DJ's birthday.  I of course ate fish tacos because I think that is what you have to do your first night in San Diego.

I woke up at 6am Tuesday even though I stayed up late enough to help my body adjust to the west coast.  Brian and I had coffee at home and then headed out for our day of touring.  We started with a great brunch at the Brockton Villa Restaurant overlooking the La Jolla Cove where I experienced the most delicious French Toast (Coast Toast as they called it) I have ever eaten. I am pretty sure it was soaked in a vat of custard before being pan-fried - amazing!!! After we ate we walked around and got to see the seals basking in the sun...ahh to be a seal in San Diego! 


Then we were on our way to Coronado taking the scenic route of course, driving through different communities and ohhing and ahhing at the houses we passed by!  As we crossed the bridge to Coronado there was a sign for a suicide hotline; sadly I think this means the rate of suicide on this bridge is high.  I will tell you that this sparked many conversations throughout the day as we paid close attention to all of the bridges we crossed.  We went to the famous Del Coronado Hotel.  This is where the Wizard of Oz was written; though there were many interesting facts about the hotel shared this is the most exciting fact that I retained.  Brian and I enjoyed an adult beverage together on the deck of the hotel as we basked in the sun...ahh to be a seal in San Diego!!! 

Here is a pic of Brian and I on the beach in Coronado:


Then it was off to pinkberry.  If you have not experienced the pinkberry phenomenon I would encourage you to get to your nearest city and try some.  It is fat free deliciousness!!! Next stop - Balboa Park this is where many of San Diego's finest museums are.  We decided to just walk around the grounds and enjoy the beautiful day instead of venturing in to the museums which was OK by me.  I have a feeling there will be some museums in my near future.  Note: the Balboa this park refers to is the explorer not Rocky Balboa though I did spent our time there searching for a Rocky Balboa statue (much to Brian's dismay).

We returned home and did some research on Taco Shops.  The requirement was good but cheap!  And we found this at El Cuervo Taco Shop in Hillside.  We ended our evening at Extraordinary desserts..this was an appropriate name!! I had the Blood Orange Ricotta Torte which I finished this morning for breakfast!


I hope that I do not lose my momentum to blog as the semester goes on and I hope that those who decide to follow do not get bored with my rambling.  I will report for duty in a few hours and get to meet the other faculty and staff who I will be spending the next few months with...very exciting!!  We set sail tonight for Ensenada, Mexico where we will spend a few days training until the students arrive on January 17.

2 comments:

  1. um, you know that pinkberry is like my crack and i have it at least once a day when in Cali, right???

    ReplyDelete
  2. that was the best description of a san diego vaca I have ever read :) a professional blogger already! anna and I danced to bob again today-- she loves it! hope you are having a good time-- will call u on Friday. miss you tons!

    ReplyDelete