“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.” Mark Twain

Friday, February 26, 2010

Beijing - Day 1- Greatness awaits us - Friday, February 19

I decided if I want to get this updated as quickly as possible I would do one Beijing day at a time so this is the first little bit about Beijing.
So Friday morning we headed to the airport for flight 2 of 3 on this journey around China.  When we arrived in Beijing we headed straight to lunch and as soon as we got there I realized I left my camera on the airplane.  This would be the camera I am borrowing from someone because my camera broke while we were in Hawaii (I do not deserve to have a camera!!).  Jason (our guide) called the airport and found out that it had been turned in to lost and found because it was found on my airplane seat.  So he and I took a taxi back to the airport to retrieve it.  I missed lunch (which I heard was not the best and of course there was a meal on the plane) but I was able to get the camera back...thank goodness or else these blogs would be just words!

After lunch we headed to our hotel and then would have the rest of the day free to spend in Beijing.  The hotel we stayed at was a Courtyard Marriot and Shelly and I had a pretty sweet room.  I headed out with some of the students to check out some of the local shopping and the consensus was that we all wanted to take a break from Chinese food and since one of the people I was with was celebrating a birthday she choose pizza.  It was decent Pizza Hut style pizza that was good enough to get us through to our next Chinese meal.
Even Starbuck's celebrated the new year:


We headed back to the hotel after and asked about markets in the area and we were directed to the night market.  We hopped in 2 cabs and headed there.  So basically what the night market is is a mixture of food vendors and souvenier type stuff vendors.  The food that was being sold was not your typical street food they were selling scopions, beetles, seahorses (these were still moving) sheeps penis.  Nobody I was with sampled any of these goodies but I know other students on our trip did. 

 
Here are some students posing with one of the New Year's Tigers:

 
We left when the market closed (around 10) and headed back to the hotel to rest up for tomorrow's big day.

1 comment: